Purpose and Mission
Name:ACR Environmental and Public Policy Section
- ACREPPS Members: Members are active in environmental and public policy dispute resolution in the U.S. and Canada. Their cases range from small
group to large multiparty cases, from site-specific to regulatory negotiations. Members include sole practitioners; staff
of Provincial, Federal and State agencies; large and small NGOs, as well as student members.
- ACR EPP Section Leadership: The ACR EPP Section Leadership Council governs and carries out the mission of the Section. It is comprised of elected members
who serve staggered two-year terms and appointed committee chairs. The Leadership Council meets by phone on the second Friday
of every month at 12:30 pm Eastern time. Section members are welcome to participate. If you would like to join a Leadership
Council call, please contact one of the co-chairs for call-in information.
- Suzanne Schwartz: Co-Chair 2011-2013. Environmental Program Manager, University of Texas Center for Public Policy Dispute Resolution, Austin,
- Turner Odell: Co-Chair 2012-2014. Natural Resources Program Manager, Oregon Consensus, Portland, OR.
- Brad Spangler: Immediate Past Co-Chair; Co-Chair, New Directions Committee. Mediator and Program Manager, Meridian Institute, Arvada, CO.
- Kevin Bryan: Chair, Diversity & Equity Committee. Senior Mediator and Program Manager, Meridian Institute, Washington, DC.
- Jason Gershowitz: Chair, Web Communication Committee. Collaborative Technology Associate, Kearns & West, Washington, DC.
- Peter Harkema: Elected Member, 2011-2013; Co-Chair New Directions Committee. Project Manager, Oregon Consensus, Portland, OR.
- Britt Ide: Elected Member, 2012-2014. President, Ide Law & Strategy, PLLC, Boise, ID.
- Maria Placht: Elected Member, 2011-2013. Water Policy and Conflict Resolution Advisor, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Institute for Water
Resources, Alexandria, VA.
- Kenneth Rosenbaum: Ethics Point Person. Principal, Sylvan Environmental Consultants, Falls Church, VA.
- Joan Sabott: Elected Member, 2011-2013 and Chair, Professional Development & Member Services Committee. Program Manager, CDR Associates,
- Steve Smutko: Elected Member, 2012-2014. Spicer Chair in Collaborative Practice, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY.
- Conference Planning Committee: Co-Chairs, Gail Bingham and Jenny Biddle. Plans the annual section conference, and provides continuity from previous conferences.
- Gail Bingham: Conference Planning Committee Co-Chair
- Jenny Biddle: Conference Planning Committee Co-Chair
- Professional Development & Member Services Committee: Professional Development & Member Services. Co-Chairs, Joan Sabott and Amanda Murphy. Coordinates activities to assist the
educational, training and professional development of our members. Currently working on producing webinars and developing
a mid-level practitioner peer learning network.
- Joan Sabott: Conference Planning Committee Co-Chair
- Amanda Murphy: Conference Planning Committee Co-Chair
- New Directions Committee: Co-Chairs, Peter Harkema and Brad Spangler. Focuses on growing and evolving the environmental and public policy ADR field,
including adding value to the practice, identifying leadership opportunities, and articulating the unique needs and interests
of the EPP Section.
- Peter Harkema: New Directions Committee Co-Chair
- Brad Spangler: New Directions Committee Co-Chair
- Web Communications Committee: Chair, Jason Gershowitz. Coordinates website content development and maintenance, facilitates communication with and among
EPP members, and serves a clearinghouse role to facilitate effective use of technology to support our field.
- Jason Gershowitz: Web Communications Committee Chair