Vietnam Education Foundation Strategic Planning and Assessment CY 2011-2016
Start: 2011-04-04, End: 2016-12-31, Publication: 2013-03-15
For the purposes of planning VEF programs and assessing the success of those programs against the goals set forth in PL 106-554,
the VEF Board of Directors and Staff has developed this 5- year Strategic Plan, which will be reviewed annually in April based
on an Annual Assessment Report that will be conducted at the beginning of each calendar year starting in January 2012.
Strategic Plan Annual Assessment: The VEF Board of Directors and VEF Staff will assess the outcomes of this Strategic Plan
in March of each year and will provide a report to the full board at the quarterly VEF Board of Directors meeting held in
April. The Assessment Report will be based on performance indicators and appropriate benchmarks using current CY (2011) program
data for comparison. In addition to the Assessment Report, the Board of Directors and Staff will also evaluate the goals and
objectives as stated in the five-year Strategic Plan and make adjustments to the annual goals and objectives as appropriate.
Name:Vietnam Education Foundation
At its core, the purpose for the Vietnam Education Foundation is to help Vietnam to develop their science and technology capacity
through the education of Vietnamese nationals at U.S. institutions of Higher Education and through teaching programs by U.S.
faculty experts at Vietnamese universities and research institutes. By extension, this educational exchange also is expected
to contribute to the continued reconciliation between the United States and Vietnam who, four decades ago, were still in the
midst of a significant war. Since beginning its programs in 2003, the Vietnam Education Foundation has developed numerous
programs that have achieved these goals. The key to VEF's success for the next five years is to maximize VEF resources in
order to improve and expand VEF programs and activities and to continue promoting mutual reconciliation through VEF initiatives.
- United States Government: VEF is an Independent Federal Agency of the United States Government.
- VEF Leaders: VEF leadership is comprised of a Board of Directors that includes Cabinet Secretaries, Members of Congress, and Presidential
appointees whose experiences are drawn from higher education institutions and businesses throughout the United States.
- VEF Staff: VEF leadership, management, and administration is comprised of fourteen full-time staff with offices in Arlington, Virginia,
and Hanoi, Vietnam.
- Vietnam: VEF receives $5 million in annual funding that is the result of debt payments made from Vietnam to the United States.
- Vietnamese Student Fellows: VEF has provided funding support for nearly 400 Vietnamese Student Fellows (342) and Vietnamese Visiting Scholars (29) studying
in the United States as well as U.S. Faculty Scholars (12) teaching at Vietnamese academic institutions.
- Vietnamese Visiting Scholars
- U.S. Faculty Scholars
- Vietnam Ministry of Education and Training (MOET): VEF has developed excellent relationships in Vietnam with the Ministry of Education and Training (MOET), the Ministry of Science
and Technology (MOST), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA), and numerous Vietnamese institutions dedicated to science and
technology research and education.
- Vietnam Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST)
- Vietnam Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA)