After comparing the management practice of strategy to other professional disciplines it is obvious that strategy is currently
far from being a profession: no standards of practice, no accreditation of teaching, a body of knowledge that is incoherent,
and no internationally recognised professional bodies with any significant authority. The first task of the Strategic Management
Forum will be to create a road map and plans that prioritise the work required to bridge the gap between the current state
of strategy, and strategy as the profession it must become. There is no desire to see strategy establish itself as an elitist
profession, to serve the interests of a narrow group of professionals. The Forum will focus on achieving quality and integrity
whilst also being open, inclusive and accessible to anyone with an interest in the subject. Below we introduce some of the
key initiatives under consideration.
Once we have achieved the establishment of strategy as a profession, we will continue to play the role that might be expected
of a leading professional body, all the while mindful that our purpose is to serve the interests of society first and our
members second, in the belief that the members of a profession that serves society well will themselves be well served in
consequence. We will additionally continue to promote best practice in research and education, and amongst practitioners,
as stewards of the profession.
Name:Strategic Management Forum
The Strategic Management Forum is a limited company registered at Companies House, England. Company Number 08343175
- Paul Barnett: Paul Barnett is Founder and Acting CEO of the Strategic Management Forum. Until recently he was Executive Officer of the Strategic
Planning Society. He has a background in strategic marketing and is also the Founder and CEO of the Strategic Management Bureau
- Stephen Lin: Founder Member -- Stephen Lin has over 25 years of senior management experience in private and public organizations, both
as an internal executive as well as an external consultant. As an internal executive, he has led strategic transformation
and capability development efforts in key strategic organizations. As an external consultant, he is in demand for in-company
training in Strategic Management and Systems Thinking as well as facilitation of client companies' strategic change efforts.
He regularly leads public seminars and certification programs on the Systems Thinking Approach to Strategic Management, and
has conducted these workshops in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, India, Dubai, Vietnam, China and the USA.
- Roger Davies: Founder Member -- Roger runs Impact Dynamics, a consulting company dedicated to business performance transformation through
Value Management in which Roger is a consultant, trainer, author and speaker. A Chartered Engineer, he began his career in
manufacturing and, as a Chief Engineer with Plessey, led major concurrent engineering programmes, the advancements from which
he integrated into Value Management. Roger subsequently grew the approach into a key proposition for several large management
consultancies, applying it across virtually every sector, both private and public.
- Ahmed Qadir: Founder Member -- Ahmed Qadir is currently the Director in the Department of Advocacy in the Competition Commission of Pakistan.
Previously he has been a Chief Strategy Officer for a private sector company; worked on an Anti-Money Laundering initiative
with the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan and held positions with the United Nations Population Fund [UNFPA]
and the United Nations Development Programme [UNDP]. His personal interests include how to improve the strategic management
process in the public sector, new institutional economics, and leading organisational transformation.
- Anne Maguire: Founder Member -- Anne Maguire worked in construction for 30 years and latterly for the NHS as Associate Director. She now
runs a management consultancy providing interim and consultancy support to public sector bodies. This work includes estate
planning, compliance and policy issues. Anne is currently also studying part-time for a PhD with UCL looking at the impact
of demographic change on the National Health Service using systems thinking.
- Matt Wilkinson: Founder Member -- Matt Wilkinson is a strategic marketing and communications consultant focusing on the pharmaceutical and
life sciences sectors. He holds a PhD in Chemistry from Bristol University and an MBA from Cranfield, as well as APMP project
management and CMCE consultancy certifications. He has a particular passion for using storytelling as a tool to develop and
share corporate and marketing strategy.
- Barry Hedley: Founder Member -- Barry is a Fellow of the University of Cambridge's Judge Business School and Chairman of Dialectyx Solutions
Ltd. He is a Harvard Business School MBA graduate and was Global Director of Deloitte Consulting's strategy consulting practice
until 2000, following their acquisition of Braxton Associates, of which Barry was co-founder and CEO.
- Kim Warren: Founder Member -- Kim teaches, writes and advises on strategy. He also creates strategy tools and learning materials, including
the Strategy Dynamics Method. Kim was for many years a Teaching Fellow in Strategy at London Business School and has strong
first-hand practical experience, including the creation of the strategy that transformed the fortunes of Whitbread Plc.
- Ahmad Salih: Founder Member -- Ahmad is Director of Corporate Affairs at United Networks, with more than 15 years' experience working in
various functional areas, including finance, programme management, human resources and legal affairs. Ahmad also serves as
an internal consultant at Gulfsat Communications, where he works with the Chief Operating Officer on strategic issues with
a focus on corporate development. He has an MBA and a doctorate in business administration.
- Matt Chapman: Founder Member -- Matt runs KPMG's Better Business Reporting Group. His interest in strategy stems from the role it plays
in driving business value and how this can be communicated to the capital markets.
- Jeremy Bassett: Founder Member -- Jeremy is a Chartered Marketer and a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Marketing. He established Corve
Consultancy Ltd in 2002 to support owner-managed businesses in the development and implementation of business strategy and
strategic marketing. Previously he was a senior manager and director of a number of UK, European and global financial institutions.
- Edmund Hewson: Founder Member -- Edmund has worked has as an educationalist and as a practitioner for more than 24 years at BPP, the global
education business and the UK's first ‘for profit' university. His writing and extended case studies have been core reading
on global postgraduate and MBA programmes. As a leader of BPP's publishing and international training units, he has developed,
articulated and implemented business strategies, whilst shaping the wider direction at group level. Edmund is a Chartered
Accountant and a Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute. He is interested in behavioural aspects of the global strategic
- Steve Bowden: Founder Member -- Steve has worked exclusively in the Financial Services sector for the last 26 years and has experience in
Strategic Business Consultancy, Planning, Business Architecture and Operational Management. Working in partnership with owner-managed
businesses aspiring to achieve better outcomes for their clients and business stakeholders, Steve delivers a wide range of
integrated, strategic and operational solutions designed to help businesses develop and embed ‘survive and thrive' operating
models in an increasingly demanding environment. Steve writes regularly in the financial press on Global Best Practice and
Business Management issues. He is particularly interested in the evolution of business strategy.
- A Sundaramurthy: Founder Member -- Sundar has a PhD in consumer behaviour (marketing analytics), a Masters in Management Systems and a B.Tech
in Chemical Engineering. He is a certified expert in data mining and modelling, a certified predictive modelling specialist
from SAS Institute, USA, and is certified in Lean Management and Six Sigma. He is certified in Business Analysis, endorsed
by IIBA, Canada. Sundar has travelled extensively in Europe, parts of the USA, India, the Middle East, South East Asia and
Japan on various professional assignments. He is a Director of Solutions Space Ltd, UK and a Senior Consultant. His present
focus is on analytics-based strategy, holistic responsive business models to handle uncertainty and complexity of business.
- Paulo Alves: Founder Member -- Paulo Alves is a D.Sc. in Administration by FGV, an M.Sc. in public administration by FGV, and an Engineer
by IME. Paulo currently works as a full professor in Fundação Dom Cabral (FDC), ranked as the 8th best business school in
the world, according to the 2012 Executive Education ranking of the Financial Times Paulo was Under-Secretary of Planning
for the Secretariat of Planning and Management of the Rio de Janeiro State (SEPLAG-RJ) from 2007 to 2009. His professional
experience includes the government, defense, aerospace, education and energy sectors. He was a Brazilian army captain from
1990 to 2002. As a professor, he worked in ESPM, FDC, FGV, IBMEC, IME and PUC, and as a consultant to BAT, IADB/BID, Petrobrás,
Shell, and the US DoC. He is a fellow of the Strategic Planning Society (SPS-UK), and an international member of ASPA. He
is the author of the book Jogos de Empresas (Business Games), published by Pearson/Makron Books. He was the winner of the
Best Marketing Strategy prize given by Publicis, in the L'Oréal Marketing Award 2004. He was ranked 29th in the Best Business
Professor Award promoted by the Economist Intelligence Unit in 2012-13.
- Mikko Arevuo: Founder Member -- Mikko Arevuo is an established business strategy practitioner and academic. Mikko combines strategy practice
with academically rigorous research. Prior to moving into academia, Mikko worked in international corporate and investment
banking in the US and Europe. He was also involved in European Community funded economic reconstruction projects in the former
Soviet Union countries. Mikko's international business experience was gained in financial services with JPMorganChase (formerly
Chase Manhattan Bank), Nordic Bank, Bank of America, and Citibank in the US, Finland and the UK. Currently, Mikko is the subject
matter expert in strategic management at the European Business School London. He is also a fellow of the Adam Smith Institute,
one of the leading global policy think tanks on domestic and international economic policy development. Mikko's research interests
are in managerial decision-making, and the influence of the Austrian school of economics on the theory of the firm. * BA (Economics)
- The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor * Certificate in Corporate Finance - London Business School * MBA - Cranfield School
of Management * PhD - Cranfield School of Management (2014)
- Edward Regula: Founder Member -- Edward Regula is a senior government strategist and planner with more than 25 years' experience in strategy
development and execution. He combines strategy practice with functional and operational experience. Edward is a member of
several strategy development groups within the public sector and has spoken before various defense, security, public health
and academic audiences on strategy development, integration, collaboration, planning, and command and control topics. Edward's
interests are in the integration of organizational and operational decision-making and functions in support of complex endeavors.
- A. Gadir Khalil: Founder Member -- A.Gadir Khalil is a strategist at DAL group in Khartoum, Sudan. He holds a BSc Hons in Engineering and an
MBA. His other qualifications and titles include: FAIPM (Australia), Reg MPD - AIPM, certified KT strategy formulation facilitator,
certified KT problem solving and decision-making program leader, FStratPS - Fellow Strategic Planning Society, PMP, and IEng-
UK. A.Gadir has more than twenty-two years work experience, including twelve years' experience in strategy formulation and
- Jeffrey Kuhn: Founder Member -- Dr. Jeffrey Kuhn is the President of GrowthLeaders®, a New York based strategy and executive development
consultancy that works with senior business leaders to develop the mindsets and capabilities for unlocking new market growth.
His expertise is uniquely positioned at the intersection of strategy, innovation and growth, and organizational transformation.
He has consulted globally with market-leading firms in a wide range of industries, including pharma, financial services, telecom,
consumer electronics, energy, technology, transportation, professional services and not-for-profit. He has published numerous
articles and case studies on strategy, organizational transformation and executive leadership, and has a book under development
entitled In Search of Growth. Jeffrey holds a doctorate from Columbia University and has served as an adjunct professor at
Columbia Business School. His research and teaching interests focus on strategic innovation in mature organizations, ambidexterity,
and developing strategic leadership mindsets and capabilities.