Strategic Investment Plan for Intelligence Community Analysis
This document, for the first time, lays out a ten-year Strategic Investment Plan for Intelligence Community Analysis (SIP).
It outlines the goals and future requirements for the 11 agencies of the National Intelligence Production Board (NIPB) and
the implementing actions—budgetary, procedural, and policy—that are needed to build and maintain the Intelligence Community's
core analytic capabilities. It specifies deliverables beginning in FY 2001.
The plan looks at future analytic requirements across six pillars: investing in people; technology; intelligence priorities;
customer support; interacting with collectors; and external analysis. The information and recommendations presented here reflect
the collaboration and consensus of the members of the NIPB, who helped collect and compile the data and facilitated the review
of issues and current programs within their respective organizations. The result is an assessment of what it will take for
the IC analytic community—in light of the anticipated national security and budgetary environments we will face in the coming
decade—to realize the DCI's vision for the United States Intelligence Community.
Name:National Intelligence Production Board
- Assistant Director of Central Intelligence for Analysis and Production: The NIPB, chaired by the Assistant Director of Central Intelligence for Analysis and Production (ADCI/AP), undertook this
inaugural Strategic Investment Plan for Intelligence Community Analysis as a follow-on to an earlier effort to assess the
analytic resources available to the US Intelligence Community to support its wide range of missions.
- Assistant Director of Central Intelligence for Collection: NIPB Member
- Deputy Director of Intelligence, Central Intelligence Agency: NIPB Member
- Deputy Director for Analysis and Production, Defense Intelligence Agency: NIPB Member
- Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Analysis, Bureau of Intelligence and Research, Department of State: NIPB Member
- Assistant Deputy Director of Operations for Analysis and Production, National Security Agency: NIPB Member
- Director of Imagery Analysis, National Imagery and Mapping Agency: NIPB Member
- Director of the Office of Energy Intelligence, Department of Energy: NIPB Member
- Inspector/Deputy Assistant Director, Intelligence Branch, Investigative Services: NIPB Member
- Director of Foreign Intelligence, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence, Headquarters, Department of the Army: NIPB Member
- Executive Director, Office of Naval Intelligence: NIPB Member
- Associate Director for Intelligence, Directorate of Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance, Headquarters US Air Force: NIPB Member
- Director, Marine Corps Intelligence Activity: NIPB Member
- Director, Program Office for Community Analysis: NIPB Member
- Executive Secretary: NIPB Member