Mission, Goal, Vision and Values
Name:Institute for Local Government
As a 501(c)(3) organization, the Institute operates according to its corporate bylaws and such other policies adopted by the
Institute's board of directors.
- ILG Parent Organizations: The Institute's effectiveness in promoting good government at the local level is greatly enhanced by its close working relationship
with the associations that represent counties and cities: the California State Association of Counties and the League of California
Cities. The Institute's relationship with CSAC and the League notwithstanding, the Institute invites all local officials to
take advantage of the Institute's resources. The Institute also welcomes the opportunity to collaborate with other local agency
associations in pursuit shared commitments to good government at the local level.
- The League of California Cities: The League of California Cities' mission is to restore and protect local control for cities through education and advocacy.
To learn more about the League's activities in pursuit of this mission, please visit www.cacities.org.
- California State Association of Counties: The primary purpose of the California State Association of Counties (CSAC) is to represent counties before the California
Legislature, administrative agencies and the federal government. In addition, CSAC places a strong emphasis on educating state
and federal decision-makers, as well as the public about the value and need for county programs and services. To learn more
about CSAC, visit www.csac.counties.org.
- ILG Team: A small but dedicated group of employees pursue the Institute's mission on a daily basis.
- JoAnne Speers: Executive Director and Ethics Program Director -- JoAnne has worked with local officials for over 20 years, through both her
work with the Institute and by having served as chief legal advisor to the League of California Cities for over 17 years.
In 1999, she was named "Public Lawyer of the Year" by the California State Bar's Public Law Section. Her educational background
includes graduate degrees in law and public policy from UC Berkeley and a certificate from Stanford Business School's Executive
Program for Nonprofit Leadership.
- Yvonne Hunter: Program Co-Director, Sustainable Communities -- Yvonne Hunter is Program Director of the Institute's climate change program.
Before joining the Institute in January 2007, Yvonne worked for the League of California Cities for 29 years, the last fifteen
years as a lobbyist emphasizing environmental and community services issues. She has worked on environmental and energy issues
for over thirty years. Yvonne has a B.A. and M.A. from the University of California, Davis.
- Steve Sanders: Program Co-Director, Sustainable Communities -- Steve Sanders directs the Land Use and Environment and the Healthy Neighborhoods
components of the Institute's Sustainable Communities program, which helps local officials identify and apply policies and
best practices to achieve their economic, social and environmental goals. Prior to joining the Institute in 2007, Steve ran
a consulting business working with foundations and non-profit organizations on issues related to sustainable development,
fiscal policy and governance reform. He previously served as a senior staff member in the California legislature and as a
practicing urban planner with state and local government
- Terry Amsler: Program Manager, Public Engagement -- Terry Amsler is a Manager of the Institute for Local Government's Public Engagement
program. Situated in a broader program to enhance public confidence in local government, the Public Engagement program supports
effective and inclusive public engagement in local decision making and helps local officials in cities and counties throughout
California successfully navigate among the array of community engagement options that bring resident voices to the table on
important issues. Prior to joining the Institute, Terry was the Program Director for the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation's
Conflict Resolution program area. Terry has also served as the Director of U.S. Initiatives with Partners for Democratic Change,
and as executive director of both the Oregon Dispute Resolution Commission and San Francisco's Community Board Program. With
a B.A. in Political Science from the State University of New York, and a Masters of Public Administration from the University
of San Francisco, Terry has more than thirty years of experience in dispute resolution and public involvement in community,
government, philanthropic, and academic settings.
- Jennifer Armer: Program Coordinator, Sustainable Communities -- Jennifer is a Certified Planner who has worked in and with local government
for 8 years, primarily in the planning departments of the City of Palo Alto and the City of Rio Vista. She joined the Sustainability
Communities Team at the Institute for Local Government in May 2012. In 2008, she became certified by the American Institute
of Certified Planners. Her educational background includes a graduate degree in Regional and City Planning from UC Berkeley.
- Karalee Browne: Program Coordinator, Sustainable Communities -- Karalee is a program coordinator dedicated to creating and expanding partnerships
that drive sustainable results for California communities. Prior to joining the Institute in May of 2012, Karalee worked at
PG&E managing two solar-focused community relations initiatives. Karalee holds a Bachelor's Degree in Broadcast Journalism
and a Master's degree in Public Administration.
- Dalea Fong: Program Coordinator, Public Service Ethics -- Dalea was hired as a program coordinator for the Institute's Public Service
Ethics program in May of 2013. She graduated from UC Hastings College of the Law in 2012 with an academic concentration in
Law and Health Sciences, and is an active member of the California State Bar. In Addition to her work with the Institute,
she is a part-time attorney for the California Department of Managed Health Care Help Center. Prior to joining the Institute,
she worked as an intern with the California State Assembly Committee on Judiciary and as a law clerk for a public health non-profit.
- Kristy Jensen: Office Support, Program Assistant -- Kristy Jensen currently serves as office support, executive assistant as well as supporting
the accounting department. Before joining ILG in 2004, she was a bookkeeper for a winery and a construction company in the
Napa Valley. Kristy is continuing her education toward a Math Science degree with a concentration in bookkeeping.
- Christal Love Lazard: Program Coordinator, Public Engagement -- Christal is the program coordinator for the Public Engagement program. Christal
has worked with local government agencies on public engagement issues related to water, natural resource planning and citizen/local
government partnerships for 8 years. Prior to joining the Institute in May 2011, Christal worked at the Center for Collaborative
Policy and Environmental Science Associates. Her educational background includes an M.P.A from San Francisco State University
and B.S. in Environmental Planning and Policy Analysis from UC Davis.
- Randi Kay Stephens: Program Coordinator, Local Government Basics and CCS Partnership -- Randi Kay is the Program Coordinator for the Local Government
Basics program and also serves as staff resource to the Cities Counties Schools Partnership. Prior to joining the Institute,
Randi Kay served as a staff member to an elected official with the city of Sacramento and as a volunteer coordinator for the
Sacramento Public Library. She enjoyed working with a variety of neighborhood groups on community-building projects such as
playground building and community garden development as well as her primary role of providing information and receiving input
on city and library services. Randi Kay received her M.P.A. from the University of San Francisco in 2013.
- Jessica Avina Tong: Program Coordinator, Sustainable Communities -- Jessica is a program coordinator supporting the Institute's Sustainable Communities
work. Prior to joining the Institute in June 2011, she completed a year of service through the Sierra Nevada AmeriCorps Partnership
at Placer Land Trust. Jessica holds a Bachelor's degree in Anthropology and a Master's in Public Administration She has also
help positions at the Environmental Protection Agency, Region 10, and Seattle Public Utilities.
- ILG Board of Directors: The Institute's Board of Directors meets quarterly...
- Greg Cox: Board Chair -- First District Supervisor, County of San Diego; Past President, California State Association of Counties; Past
President, League of California Cities
- Henry L. Gardner: Board Vice Chair -- Former Executive Director, Association of Bay Area Governments
- James Keene: Board Member, Immediate Past Chair -- City Manager, City of Palo Alto
- Michele Beal Bagneris: Board Member -- City Attorney and City Prosecutor City of Pasadena
- Matthew Cate: Board Member -- Executive Director, California State Association of Counties
- Salud Carbajal: Board Member -- First District Supervisor, County of Santa Barbara
- Brett Channing: Board Member -- Assistant to the El Cajon City Manager; Immediate Past President, Municipal Management Association of Southern
- Hal Conklin: Board Member -- Former Mayor, Santa Barbara; Past President, League of California Cities; Former Officer, National League
- Rosemary M. Corbin: Board Member -- Former Mayor, City of Richmond
- Pablo Espinoza: Board Member -- Special Projects Media Consultant, Speaker of the Assembly's Office
- Mark S. Gaughan: Board Member -- Public Affairs
- Rod Gould: Board Member and Governance Committee Chair -- City Manager, City of Santa Monica
- Richard Haffey: Board Member -- Nevada County Executive Officer, County Administrative Officers Association of California Liaison
- Patricia Jones: Board Member -- Former Assistant Executive Director, Association of Bay Area Governments
- J. Michael Kasperzak: Board Member and Advancement Committee Chair -- Council Member, City of Mountain View; League of California Cities Board Liaison
- Chris McKenzie: Board Member -- Executive Director, League of California Cities
- Daniel T. Miller: Board Member -- Senior Vice President, The Irvine Company
- Kathleen A. Millison: Board Member -- City Manager, City of Santa Rosa; League of California City Manager's Department Liaison
- Art Takahara: Board Member and Finance Committee Chair -- President, De Anza Manufacturing Services, Inc.; Former Mayor, City of Mountain
- Hazel L. Wetherford: Board Member -- Economic Development Analyst, City of Dublin; Municipal Management Association of Northern California Liaison
- Daniel K. Whitehurst: Board Member -- Former Mayor, City of Fresno
- Don Benninghoven: Board Member Emeritus -- Former Executive Director, Cities Counties Schools Association
- Jerry Patterson: Board Member Emeritus -- Member, Board of Trustees, Coast Community College District; Former Member, US House of Representatives;
Former Mayor, Santa Ana