About the Institute
The Institute's research falls into nine broad themes: - agriculture and rural development; - environment and natural resource
economics; - globalisation and trade; - industry and development; - employment, labour and informal sector; - macroeconomic
analysis and policy; - population and human resource development; - health economics and policy; and - social change and social
Name:Institute of Economic Growth
The Institute of Economic Growth (IEG) is an autonomous, multidisciplinary centre for advanced research and training. Widely
recognised as a centre of excellence, it is one of India's leading academic institutions in the fields of economic and social
development. Established in 1952, it consists of a faculty of 30 social scientists (economists, demographers and sociologists)
and a large body of supporting research staff, focussing on emerging and often cutting-edge areas of social and policy concern.
Many past and current faculty members are internationally renowned and award-winning scholars.
- V.K.R.V. Rao: The faculty, board of directors and trustees of the IEG, which was founded by eminent economist V.K.R.V. Rao, have included
and continue to attract distinguished intellectuals and policy makers, including V.T. Krishnamachari, C.D. Deshmukh, P.N.
Dhar, A.M. Khusro, Dharm Narain, C. Rangarajan, C.H. Hanumantha Rao, T.N. Madan, P.C. Joshi and Bimal Jalan.
- V.T. Krishnamachari
- C.D. Deshmukh
- P.N. Dhar
- A.M. Khusro
- Dharm Narain
- C. Rangarajan
- C.H. Hanumantha Rao
- T.N. Madan
- P.C. Joshi
- Bimal Jalan
- Planning Commission of India: Several former faculty members have served as members of the Planning Commission or on the Prime Minister's Panel of Economic
- India Prime Minister's Panel of Economic Advisors
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has had a long association with the Institute, initially as chairman of the board (1977-82)
and since 1992 as president of the IEG Society.
- Nitin Desai: Nitin Desai is Chairman of the Board of Governors.
- Bina Agarwal: Prof. Bina Agarwal has been director of the IEG since September 2009.
- Indian Economic Service: ... the Institute organises regular training programmes for the trainee officers of the Indian Economic Service and occasional
courses for officers of the Indian Statistical Service, National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) and University
- Indian Statistical Service
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD)
- Doctoral Students: The Institute's faculty members also supervise doctoral students from India and abroad, provide regular policy inputs, and
engage with the government, civil society and international organisations.
- Civil Society
- International Organisations
- International Scholars: Over the years, IEG has hosted many renowned international scholars, including Nobel Laureates Elinor Ostrom and Amartya Sen,
and others such as Yujiro Hayami, Jan Breman, Ronald Herring, Nancy Folbre, Diane Elson and Nicholas Stern.