HowTo.gov provides the tools and ideas you need to effectively serve, engage, and support your customers, no matter how they
choose to interact with you.
HowTo.gov is a website to help government workers deliver a better customer experience to citizens. It's about sharing new
ideas, common challenges, lessons learned, and successes across government. HowTo.gov can help you work smarter, whether you're
on the "front lines" of government customer service; you manage a customer service channel; or you support customers through
new media, open government, cloud computing, communications, innovation, or in some other way.
- Government Customer Service Channel Managers: HowTo.gov is for anyone who manages or supports (directly or indirectly) a government customer service channel. This includes
anyone who manages a government website or call center; communicates with the public via social media; manages or supports
their agency's IT operations; writes or edits content for web or print publication; or manages customer service operations
in any program area.
- U.S. Federal Government Employees: While U.S. federal government employees are the primary audience, we welcome state, local, and international government employees
to use the site and share your feedback, ideas, and suggestions. HowTo.gov is meant to be a resource for government communities
of practice, helping agencies everywhere improve how they communicate and interact with their customers and use innovative
tools and technologies to improve service.
- State Government Employees
- Local Government Employees
- International Government Employees
- HowTo.gov Managers: HowTo.gov is managed by GSA's Office of Citizen Services and Innovative Technologies and the Federal Web Managers Council,
and is supported by other communities of practice. HowTo.gov Website Governance (PDF, 2.1 MB, 65 pages, March 2012) documents
our policies and procedures for producing this site.
- Office of Citizen Services and Innovative Technologies: The Office of Citizen Services and Innovative Technologies is the nation's focal point for data, information, and services
offered by the federal government to citizens. We play a leadership role in identifying and applying new technologies to effective
government operations and excellence in customer service in the government, including the Federal Cloud Computing Initiative.
- Federal Web Managers Council: The Federal Web Managers Council aims to make U.S. government websites the most citizen-focused and visitor-friendly in the
world. In addition to managing HowTo.gov, we oversee a large training program, and develop practical tools and guidance to
help agencies manage their web efforts. We also serve as the steering committee for the Web Content Managers Forum, a group
of nearly 3,000 government web managers from across the country who collaborate to improve the quality and usability of U.S.
- You: What You Can Do -- This site is for you! * Find guidance, training, and best practices to help you work smarter. * Get involved
with communities of practice -- people doing similar work at other agencies. * Learn strategies to improve management and
coordination of your agency's customer service efforts. For example, create content once and re-use it in many ways to ensure
your customers always receive the same answer, no matter which channel they use to ask their question. * Collaborate with
others in your field to improve government-wide customer service efforts by submitting case studies, contributing content,
sharing resources, or providing feedback to help us improve this website.
- Natalie Davidson: Content Lead