In 1998, Paul Newman approached Peter L. Malkin about creating an organization that would encourage companies to commit greater
resources to charitable investments. CECP, formerly known as the Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy, was officially
launched on November 18, 1999 when Paul Newman, John C. Whitehead, Peter L. Malkin, Walter Shipley, and other business leaders
called upon companies to respond to the needs in their communities. To this day, Paul Newman's sentiment that corporate America
can be a force for good in society is still a core belief of CECP.
- CECP Board of Directors: CECP is led by an engaged Board of Directors. Along with the entire CECP membership, these leaders work to increase awareness
among the corporate sector, the media, and the public with respect to the combined business and social value of sustained,
strategic corporate philanthropy.
- Douglas R. Conant: Chairman, Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy; Former CEO, Campbell Soup Company
- Kenneth T. Derr: Founding Co-Chair -- Former Chairman and CEO Chevron Corporation
- Paul L. Newman: Founding Co-Chair (Jan. 26, 1925 - Sept. 26, 2008)
- Harold McGraw III: Chairman, President and CEO, McGraw Hill Financial
- Irene M. Dorner: President & CEO, HSBC Bank USA, N.A.
- Marilyn Carlson Nelson: Co-CEO, Carlson Holdings, Inc.
- John C. Whitehead: Former Co-Chair, Goldman, Sachs & Co.; Former Deputy Secretary of State
- Duncan L. Niederauer: CEO, NYSE Euronext
- Henrietta H. Fore: Chairman and CEO, Holsman International
- James E. Rohr: Executive Chairman, The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc.
- Robert H. Forrester: President and CEO, Newman's Own Foundation
- Michael I. Roth: Chairman and CEO, Interpublic Group
- Alan G. Hassenfeld: Chairman, Executive Committee, Hasbro, Inc.
- Edward B. Rust, Jr.: Chairman and CEO, State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company
- Shelly Lazarus: Chairman Emeritus, Ogilvy & Mather
- John B. Veihmeyer: Chairman and CEO, KPMG LLP
- Peter L. Malkin: Chairman Emeritus, Empire State Realty Trust
- Sanford I. Weill: Chairman Emeritus, Citigroup Inc.
- Sherilyn S. McCoy: CEO, Avon Products, Inc.
- CECP Honorary Chairs
- Peter L. Malkin
- David Rockefeller
- Paul A. Volcker
- Sanford I. Weill
- John C. Whitehead