Mission and History
Name:American Council of Trustees and Alumni
The American Council of Trustees and Alumni (ACTA) is an independent, non-profit organization committed to academic freedom,
excellence, and accountability at America's colleges and universities. Launched in 1995, we are the only organization that
works with alumni, donors, trustees, and education leaders across the United States to support liberal arts education, uphold
high academic standards, safeguard the free exchange of ideas on campus, and ensure that the next generation receives a philosophically
rich, high-quality college education at an affordable price.
- America's Colleges
- America's Universities
- Education Leaders
- Anne D. Neal: President -- Ms. Neal co-founded the American Council of Trustees and Alumni and has been president since 2003.
- Michael B. Poliakoff: Vice President of Policy -- Dr. Poliakoff became part of the ACTA team in March 2010. He oversees ACTA's programming and publications
and works directly with our constituents on behalf of higher education reform.
- Lauri Kempson: Vice President of Operations -- Ms. Kempson has been with ACTA for over a decade and oversees all administrative aspects of
our day-to-day operations. She also designs and oversees production of ACTA's publications.
- Brianna J. Estrada: Director of Development -- Ms. Estrada joined ACTA in 2010 and is responsible for development, fundraising, and assisting
the president. She directs ACTA's foundation grant proposals, donor relations, and direct mail program.
- Andrew J. Gillen: Senior Researcher -- Dr. Gillen is the Senior Researcher at ACTA.
- Daniel Burnett: Press Secretary
- Armand Alacbay: Program Officer -- Mr. Alacbay is responsible for trustee and government relations related projects.
- Tom Bako: Program Officer -- Mr. Bako is responsible for research and the upkeep of our college-guide website, WhatWillTheyLearn.com,
and coordinates our internship and summer fellowship programs.
- Jasmine Wolfe: Office Manager and Program Associate for Trustee Affairs
- William Gonch: Program Officer -- Mr. Gonch works on ACTA's college-guide website, WhatWillTheyLearn.com; he also contributes to ACTA's quarterly
newsletter, Inside Academe, and performs additional research and writing at the direction of the policy director and the president.
- Erin O'Connor: Research Fellow -- Dr. O'Connor writes and researches for ACTA.
- Maurice Black: Research Fellow -- Dr. Black contributes writing and research to ACTA.
- Charles Mitchell: Research Fellow -- Mr. Mitchell, who has been involved with ACTA since 2006, contributes research and writing and provides
counsel on state policy and other matters.